Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Dabbling in Digraphs

Whew!  What a crazy few days I've had!  I thought I'd have this post up over the weekend, but that didn't happen.  My kids are playing in a spring soccer league so we had two games on Saturday (it was 45 degrees with 25 mph winds!  BRRRR!!) and we attended the wedding of one of my good friends and colleague--so much fun!!  Monday and Tuesday we had Kindergarten screening for next year's kiddos at school so I had a sub for two days while we did screening.  It's so fun to meet the kids and find out what they can do, but it's also makes me want to keep the kiddos I have now because I realize how far we've come!  I don't want to start all over with routines!
 
We've been working on digraphs in my classroom throughout the year, but we are hitting them hard right now.  I created some activities for my kiddos and I put them in action last week during our Word Work time.
 
First, they sorted the picture cards on the pocket chart.
 
 
Then they got to work writing them on their recording sheet!
 
 
I just had to include this one!  I loved how they were all spread out on the carpet sitting however they were comfortable, but each working so hard!  This is one of the reasons I love Daily 5-structured, yet kind of unstructured--does that even make sense??
 
 
Look at this smarty pants!  We have just begun talking about silent e, but they haven't really been using it too much independently.  I was thrilled to see this guy have ALL of his 'wh' words spelled correctly!  I think he remembered 'wheel' from an activity the day before, but he got the other two all on his own and even underlined the digraphs and crossed out the silent e just like we do with our Wilson FUNdations lessons!  Brings a tear to my eye  . . . .  Ha!
 
 
I was SO pleased with how this activity went.  Today I'm going to use another activity from the pack--I'm going to place the picture cards around the room, give the kids their clipboard and recording sheet and send them on a digraph hunt!  Find the picture, write the word, and underline the digraph!
 
This pack also includes three picture sorts that I use for morning work/assessment! 
 
You can check it out in my Teachers Pay Teachers store HERE!
 


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment